Book review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Monday, August 27, 2012

 
Before I begin, let me tell you the story of how I stumbled upon this book. For some reason, I had the phrase "Me Before You" as inspiration for a poem or a novel (I come up with wacky ideas all the time!). I was all, "Yes! I can write a book about someone's life before and after they meet The One (and not necessarily the romantic One). A quick visit to Amazon informed me, however, that my ideas were not at all original. Someone named Jojo Moyes had gotten there first (-  I bought it simply out of curiosity..and because it was on special offer). I am 100% absolutely, wholeheartedly, without-a-shadow-of-a-doubtedly glad she had.

"Me Before You" (we're talking Moyes's version, not mine) tells the story of Lou and Will. She's a woman neither here nor there in life, comfortably working in a small town she has never left. Will was a successful highflyer in the city, until a life-changing accident takes away his zest for life and the ability to move. The novel deals with heartbreaking yet perfectly realistic issues in an approachable way. Topics like disability and paralysis and depression and assisted suicide are sensitive, and therefore typically avoided in books; especially romantic books. Nothing is sugar-coated, but it is a raw read. As I'm writing this, I'm not entirely sure what a "raw read" technically is. I guess you'll know what I mean if and when you read it.  

Basically, Will's paralysis leads to Lou becoming his carer, and an unusual but life-changing friendship is forged. They're an unlikely pair with the ability to drive each other crazy (aka insane, not the lovey-dovey type) but each holds the key to changing the other's way of thinking, and Lou sets herself a desperate mission of helping Will regain his love for life, disabled or otherwise. 

Upon a first glance - cover, colours, blurb and all - you may mistake "Me Before You" as another soppy romantic story where guy meets girl, a few minor complications occur, and all is well and resolved by the last page. I'm not going to ruin it for you, but it is different to what you expect. It made me laugh out loud, cry, and cross my fingers for these two fictional characters. You feel attached to both of them in a way uncommon for a book. And I'm not talking about the way we (ladies) all used to wish we were Katniss Everdeen or Bella Swan. It is not another piece of tacky chick-lit which leaves you feeling happy but underwhelmed after "The End". It's something you have to read as a story-as-a-whole - basically, don't leave too much time in between each segment you read. It shouldn't be hard though, seeing as I read the whole book on holiday in about 3 days. It's hard to put down!

I won't lie, it's emotional. Tissues at the ready! Get ready to experience every emotion under the sun. The most poignant and powerful aspect of the book was that it follows the transformation of life. Life itself - the highs and bitter lows and blows of life - living life to the full. And you don't quite realise the huge extent of the power of that phrase as it's a much-overused cliche in every way. There are lessons everyone single person can identify with and take out and use in life. Well aptly put in the book, "Just Live". 

So... a new perspective on life comes from meeting that one person. And you too can get new perspectives (and a very satisying read) by reading that one book. By now, I think you know exactly which book I'm talking about!

Bev x
Ps. As kind-of-suggested by the cover, it's mainly a book for the girls!

***Update*** Jojo Moyes has read this review and called it "lovely" :) Aww.

You Might Also Like

0 comments